Subject: Re: Why is ifconfig.ae0 better than hostname.ae0?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@kuma.web.net>
List: current-users
Date: 04/14/1997 00:58:43
[ On Thu, April 10, 1997 at 19:30:01 (-0400), Chris G. Demetriou wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Why is ifconfig.ae0 better than hostname.ae0?
>
> I sincerely doubt that the formats of those files were the same
> between SunOS/Solaris and NetBSD, in any case.  If they were, that's
> happy (and quite amazing) coincidence.

Just for the record, no, SunOS and NetBSD /etc/hostname.* files were not
compatible (the SunOS format is generally just the hostname, but the
contents are passed in their entirety as part of the ifconfig command
argument list following the interface name).

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734			VE3TCP			robohack!woods
Planix, Inc. <woods@planix.com>; Secrets Of The Weird <woods@weird.com>