Subject: Re: READ ME: BIND 4.9.5-P1 and resolver updates.
To: matthew green <mrg@splode.eterna.com.au>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 04/13/1997 18:15:33
Matthew Green writes:

>hi.
>
>i've just finished updating the BIND named and friends, and the
>resolver, to be based on version 4.9.5-P1.
>
>NOTE:  this requires that you reinstall your include files, then
>rebuild your libraries, _BEFORE_ rebuilding named.

Don't try building this just yet.  At least on an i386, lots of things
coredump.

If I'm following the code properly, the call to getanswer() on
gethostnamadr.c:655 is passing 0x1 into getanswer(), which in some
cases (e.g., mapping 127.0.0.1 to a hostname) is going to treat that
0x1 as a char *.

This causes anything that needs to map 127.0.0.1 to a hostname
to coredump:
	telnet 127.0.0.1 will cause the local telnetd to coredump.
	rsh  127.0.0.1 will cause the local rshd to coredump.
	netstat -r  will cause   netstat to coredump.

(verified by rebuild libc with debugging: getanswer() is calling
strcasecmp() with 0x01 as an argument.)  I have no idea what else
is affected.

This seems a pretty obvious bug.  Has anyone else seen it?  If not,
maybe my source tree got corrupted, or something...