Subject: Re: make install and stuff
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: current-users
Date: 04/10/1997 15:15:01
> To: "\"\\"\\\"\\\\"'der Mouse <mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca>'\\\\" <der Mouse\\\" <der Mouse mouse\\"\""<@rodents.montreal.qc.ca>

That has got to be one of the all-time worst To: headers I've ever seen.

...oh.  Never mind. :-)

> ( der Mouse writes about the minimum subset of stuff needed to install )

> You forgot /dev/zero; I don't think the shared libs will work without
> it, will they?

Well, whatever else, my experience is that the list I posted is
sufficient.  I did do an entire "make build" that way.  (I have three
scripts: BUILD, SETUP, and UNSETUP.  UNSETUP removes everything except
for the three scripts and the usr/src tree; SETUP installs the stuff I
listed.  (Indeed, that list was obtained by reformatting SETUP.)  BUILD
is the little script I posted that does "make distrib-dirs", "make
build", "make distribution".)

Now that you mention it, it's a little surprising that /dev/null is the
only /dev entry necessary.

> Or is that purely a Sunism which need not apply to other ports?
> [don't flame me for my ignorance; I only have a Sun.]

Needing /dev/zero for shared libraries is not a Sunism; it's a
SunOSism.  NetBSD on Suns doesn't need /dev/zero any more than NetBSD
on other ports does.  (SunOS on Suns _does_ use /dev/zero to get
anonymous memory; NetBSD uses MAP_ANON, which does not require a file
descriptor, to get anonymous memory.)