Subject: Re: ntalk x talky
To: Jaromir Dolecek <dolecek@ics.muni.cz>
From: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
List: current-users
Date: 04/04/1997 12:33:05
In message <199704032008.WAA04313@saruman.ics.muni.cz> Jaromir Dolecek writes:
: Okay, there must be two talk demons anyway (one on port 517 and one on 518).
: ntalk shouldn't be touched, you have to make otalkd aware
: of BE/LE clients "only". I wouldn't expect it's very easy - if it would be
: easy, we wouldn't have ntalkd, but just BE/LE aware otalkd ;-)

Also, the otalkd protocol was different for vaxen and suns due to
structure padding.  The Sun implementation would accept BE or LE
packets in the otalk format, but they had to be padded like the
compilers on the sparc padded them.  This was in the 3.5/4.0
timeframe.

Warner