Subject: Re: xntp, export/domestic
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Christoph Badura <bad@ora.de>
List: current-users
Date: 04/03/1997 21:35:08
Perry E. Metzger writes:
> Christoph Badura writes:
> > The only difference between the export and the non-export version is
> > that the latter can use DES instead of MD5 to sign the packets.

> Arguably, MD5 is safer in this application anyway.

Sure.  It may be a compatiblity issue for some, though.  NTP broadcast
multicast needs authentification to work at all and you may be stuck
with DES being used on the network and the admins unwilling to switch
to MD5.

In such a case, it might be easiest if you could just stick a suitable
authdes.c into the right place below /usr/src/domestic and just
recompile xntpd.  I'd prefer that solution over having to replace
the dummy xntpd/lib/authdes.c with a fullblown authdes.c in my local
branch and having to resolve bogus conflicts from the vendor branch.

--
Christoph Badura

Now available in print: Lion's Commentary on UNIX 6th Edition, with Source Code
			http://www.peer-to-peer.com/