Subject: Re: Alpha Multia - worth it?
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
From: Brad Salai <bsalai@servtech.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/03/1997 07:20:36
> Just noticed an ad about Alpha Multia (166 MHz 21066, 24 MB RAM, 340 MB
> disk, Ethernet, SCSI, PCMCIA slots, one PCI slot etc.).
>
> Is this machine worth the $800 they're asking for it?  How fast is it?
> Does NetBSD run reliably on it?  *drool*
>
> :-)

I've seen these offered for around $500 in the configuration mentioned. Maybe
a little more, but not $800, IMHO.

As for the speed, I believe it is like a Pentium 75 or 90. I know that Linux
runs on it, I've seen that, and I think NetBSD supports it.

I lusted after one of these for a while when a local guy was offering one
for $400 with no memory or disk, but I've come to think you can get a more
versatile, faster machine by going the x86 route.

Brad