Subject: Re: Package tools (esp. IRIX) [Re: DEC uses NetBSD]
To: Jim Wise <jimw@numenor.turner.com>
From: Markus Illenseer <markus@core.de>
List: current-users
Date: 04/01/1997 11:15:03
> 	* Support for multiple architectures in each package
>
> 	* clean separation of components of each package, with
>           well-designed dependencies, and clear distinction between
>           MD and MI parts
>
> 	* nice graphical, term-menu, and command line packaging and
>           installation tools.
>
> 	* ability to install anywhere in the tree, and to install by
>           copying or sym-linking.

 This reminds me on the good old word about computers and software:
  fast, cheap, tiny
 Choose 2 out of these three, but not all of them at once.

 For a start, I would like to see the "command line packaging" tool be
implemented, all other is far to complex for the "multiple architectures"-
goal.

 Another thing came into my mind, now the Internet is everywhere.

 * Automatic update possibility over Internet, CD-ROM or other media.

 As a maintainer of the Gateway!-CD-ROM series dedicated to NetBSD, I am
of course interested into any standard packaging environment.

--
Markus Illenseer