Subject: Re: /etc/ftpusers
To: Stephen Ma <Stephen.Ma@jtec.com.au>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 03/31/1997 18:13:15
On Tue, 1 Apr 1997, Stephen Ma wrote:

> While we're in the process of redefining this file, why don't we make
> a generic "privilege" file for all network access for all users.
> :default:telnet allow
> :default:ftp allow
> :default:pop3 allow

Well, that's an interesting thought, but there are a lot of problems
with that. You can't do this at all for telnet, since telnet has
nothing to do with user authentication. To do it for pop3, we would
have to include a pop3 server, or you'd have to modify your own
pop3 server anyway.

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca	   Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.	   Through infinite myst, software reverberates