Subject: Re: /etc/ftpusers
To: John F. Woods <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 03/31/1997 17:08:01
On Mon, 31 Mar 1997, John F. Woods wrote:

> > Easy fix: make ftpd stop working if there is an /etc/ftpusers file :)
>
> Thus convincing them that Microsoft REALLY IS RIGHT about there being no
> such thing as a standard UNIX, they reformat their NetBSD partition and
> install Windows NT Server.

The alternative being to leave the ass-backwards-named file in
place thus convincing them that Microsoft REALLY IS RIGHT about
Unix being cryptic and unfriendly, they reformat their NetBSD
partition and install Windows NT Server.

Here's another thought. We could combine the allow and deny functions
into the single /etc/ftpusers file. Each username may have after
it `allow' or `deny'; if the keyword is not present, it would
default to `deny'.  In addition, one can add a record for `:default'
to set the default for users not listed in that file. If not present,
it defaults to allow.

Our current default file would thus be equivalant to

	:default allow
	root deny
	uucp deny

This would maintain full backward compatability.

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca	   Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.	   Through infinite myst, software reverberates