Subject: Re: /etc/ftpusers
To: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 03/31/1997 15:05:33
Dave Burgess suggests that if we're calling the files ftp.allow
and ftp.deny, we change ftpchroot to ftp.chroot. I'm more inclined,
since I'm hearing noises about maintaining backward compatability,
to leave ftpchroot alone and name the other files ftpallow and
ftpdeny. Thoughts?

On Mon, 31 Mar 1997, Mike Long wrote:

> I agree with this, but I would reverse the order:  look for
> /etc/ftp.deny first, and then look for /etc/ftpusers iff /etc/ftp.deny
> is absent.

How about making ftpusers a symlink pointing to ftpdeny? I think
this gets the point across pretty well, and preserves backward
compatibility.

I don't like a hard link as much because it's not nearly so obvious
that those two files are the same. I really don't like making ftpd
check two different files.

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca	   Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.	   Through infinite myst, software reverberates