Subject: Re: a thought about FFS parameters & disk performance
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 03/31/1997 14:27:28
On Mon, 31 Mar 1997, Curt Sampson wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Mar 1997, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
>
> > It is unclear whether or not re-designing FFS to understand disks with
> > variable numbers of sectors per track would change performance....
>
> I don't see much point, since there's generally no way to get the
> information from the disk on how many sectors each track really
> has.

As a compromise, can we at least make ffs deal with a partial track or
cylinder at the end? Right now it complains, and I gather that the space
which would be in a partial fraction at the end is lost. Though it's not
much space, it seems silly to have to admit we can't use a whole disk,
just because our file system is a teenager. :-)

Take care,

Bill