Subject: Re: Internet Software Consortium DHCP Server updated...
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@druid.net>
List: current-users
Date: 03/31/1997 08:35:46
Thus spake Grey Wolf
> God, I *hate* DHCP.  It's what enables my ISP to avoid giving me
> a static IP address.

Wrong.  It's what enables them to give you the domain name server and
other information you need to connect without having to hardcode it
into your dialup stack.  I have run ISPs for years and have never
used DHCP but we still used dynamic IPs.  That's the norm.

BTW, unless you have a dedicated connection, what's the big deal about
a static IP anyway?  I have never had a problem handing out IPs if a
user was connected 24/7 (which they pay for, of course) but giving
everyone who asks their own IP (and everyone with 3 machines their
own C class) is part of the reason that there is a shortage of IPs.

And if you are paying for a fully routed, dedicated connection and
they won't give you a static IP then just change ISPs.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain                           |  Democracy is three wolves
darcy@{druid.net|vex.net}                  |  and a sheep voting on