Subject: Re: CVS Tree - sup wihout seperate copy of tree?
To: Rick Byers <rickb@iaw.on.ca>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 03/29/1997 15:15:25
On Sat, 29 Mar 1997, Rick Byers wrote:

> One more question though, is there any way to do the sup without having to
> keep a copy of the tree?  It seems redundant to have the cvs files, the
> working files, AND a sup directory.

There's no way around it, no.

> I was planning on having sup recieve the changed files into a temporary
> directory, import them into my CVS tree, then delete the original supped
> files.

The problem with that is that next time you sup, instead of just
getting the set of changes, which will total perhaps a few megabytes,
you'll have to pull down the entire source tree, which is over a
hundred megabytes.

> I could also sup into my working directory (/usr/src), but I guess I'd
> have to commit any changes first - which probably isn't a good idea for
> work in progress.

No. You want to import, which means it should go somewhere other
than a current checkout. You'll need a current checkout from your
own tree later on in order to merge.

For removals, see my script. I just do a find on the current checkout
and the tree to be imported, and compare the two lists to find
files that need to be deleted.

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca		Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.		`And malt does more than Milton can
Vancouver, BC   (604) 257-9400		 To justify God's ways to man.'