Subject: Re: CVS Tree
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
From: Assar Westerlund <assar@sics.se>
List: current-users
Date: 03/29/1997 07:30:47
Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca> writes:
> > I think `cvsup' is the correct way of maintaining your local changes
> > and getting updates from NetBSD cvs-repository.
> >
> > Having access to anon-cvs fills a different need.
>
> I don't understand what the difference is. In both cases, you do
> a checkout from the `master' NetBSD repository (in the cvsup case,
> a local copy, in the anon cvs case, the original copy), and then
> you import that checkout into your private tree. You cannot make
> your changes to your local copy of the master tree in the anon cvs
> case; those changes will get written over when cvsup updates from
> the original copy of the master tree.

In the cvsup case you can have local changes that will not be
overwritten by cvsup:ing.

If you want to have a local repository (possibly with your local
changes) and track the `master' repository, use cvsup.

If you only want to do simple things like `what's the difference of
foo.c between 1.2 and current' and don't want to maintain a local
repository, use anon-cvs.

By using cvsup you don't have to checkout - import, you can just merge
in your local copy of the repository.

/assar