Subject: Re: new package system
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <dolecek@ics.muni.cz>
List: current-users
Date: 03/26/1997 10:36:11

> Hi
>
> Is there anything wrong with using /usr/opt (or /usr/pkg) as the
> "standard" location for "ported software", and having /usr/opt
> be a link to /usr/local (or /usr/local be a link to /usr/opt)?

I personally think this is the best idea. Everyone sotisfied and no-one
hurt.

> Folks who want everything to go into /usr/local get what they want --
> installations of the "packages" is into /usr/opt (which is "equivalent"
> to /usr/local).
>
> Folks who want separate /usr/local and /usr/opt (myself included)
> get what they want by simply removing the /usr/opt->/usr/local (or /usr/local->

It is very nice to have separated staff which was donated by third party
(*BSD package maintainer) and local stuff in /usr/local.

> /usr/opt) link -- "packages" go into /usr/opt, and don't
> interfere with stuff in the /usr/local hierarchy.
>
> Perhaps the install script asks "Do you want /usr/local to be
> equivalent to /usr/opt [y/n]?" (and then DTRT), after a warning
> that "ported software" will default to installing in /usr/opt....

Maybe install scripts should not care about it at all. Maybe just in
ca /usr/opt doesn't exist.

Jarda

--
Jaromir Dolecek             	ICS MU, Botanicka 68A, Brno, 60200, Czech Rep.
dolecek@ics.muni.cz			Tel.: +42-5-4151 2266