Subject: Re: DEC uses NetBSD
To: Ian Dall <Ian.Dall@dsto.defence.gov.au>
From: Jim Wise <jimw@numenor.turner.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/24/1997 19:22:27
On Tue, 25 Mar 1997, Ian Dall wrote:

> With the GNU autoconfig system, I keep wondering why it has to figure
> out all that stuff about my sytem for *every* package. Also, why can't
> I just specify a --prefix once somewhere instead of having to remember
> each time.  (And the default might be /usr/gnu /usr/local or
> /usr/local/gnu at least).

Actually, you _can_ do this...  the configure scripts will look in
${prefix}/etc/config.site for variable settings, which will override
it's guesses.  This can, of course, be very useful, and is doubly nice
because you can have different config files for different values of
${prefix}.  (for example, I use /usr/local as ${prefix} for software
built locally, but locally built FSF software goes in /usr/local/gnu...)
--
				Jim Wise
				jim.wise@turner.com