Subject: Intel Providence dual P6 motherboard
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Laine Stump <laine@MorningStar.Com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/22/1997 11:50:50
Intel has an ATX form dual P6 motherboard with an integrated 10/100
ethernet, 7880 UW SCSI controller, and some kind of sound card. The
board w/o CPU is $579 in Computer Shopper; if you subtract $150 for the
ethernet and $200 for the SCSI, that comes out to just over $200 for a
dual CPU mboard with a 16 bit sound card - not bad.

I think somebody recently asked about the SCSI controller on this
board, and the answer was that it was as good as a 2940UW, right? Is it
*exactly* equivalent, or just "almost"?

I'm also interested in the ethernet (some Intel chipset). Is there a
driver for this in -current? Has anyone tried it? (Someone else here at
the office just bought one and said that he couldn't make the ethernet
work with Linux...)

And what about the sound card (I don't remember what chipset it was)?

Oh, and what about the 2nd CPU socket??? ;-)