Subject: Re: DEC uses NetBSD
To: Jaromir Dolecek <dolecek@ics.muni.cz>
From: Jim Wise <jimw@numenor.turner.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/22/1997 01:08:56
On Thu, 20 Mar 1997, Jaromir Dolecek wrote:

> I'm pretty satisfied w/ /usr/local. It's a "standard" and most
> packages take it as default already. On my local system i'm
> using local just for few programs and most packages are in
> /packages/{run|share|share_rw}/PACKAGE/, but there have to be some
> "standard" place and /usr/local is one of the best candidates.

Just to throw my 2c in...  I think it is a poor idea to install
distributed code into /usr/local.  The point of /usr/local has always
been to seperate out code put together on site (including ported on
site) from vendor code...   If this distinction is lost, I, at least,
will need to set up a new place for truly local binaries...

(I just got thru this with Irix, which has some leakover in this respect
_please don't make me do this again...)
--
				Jim Wise
				jim.wise@turner.com