Subject: Re: DEC uses NetBSD
To: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@druid.net>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 03/20/1997 17:25:10
On Thu, 20 Mar 1997, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:

> Not a bad idea but of course you then get into arguments about what
> should go into a package, especially if you call it something like
> "essential."  Personally I'm a Tcl, elm and vi man so I wonder
> what's so essential about perl, pine and emacs.

I personally couldn't give a d*mn about emacs, either. But if I
were setting up a machine for `general use' I'd put emacs on there
anyway, because a fair number of people are going to want to use it.

The point of the `jumbo packs' is not to promulgate religious wars,
but simply to save time for those who happen to have more disk
space than time, and who don't really care if they get three
newsreaders, three mail readers, and four editors, so long as they
get the one they want.

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca	   Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.	   Through infinite myst, software reverberates