Subject: Re: DEC uses NetBSD
To: John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
From: Bruce Albrecht <Bruce.Albrecht@seag.fingerhut.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/20/1997 18:24:10
John Birrell writes:
 > > 2) Nobody could agree on where "stuff" should get installed. Do binaries
 > >    go in /usr/local/bin or /usr/local/PKGNAME/bin, with a link in
 > > /usr/local/bin? What about the oddball case where somebody wants to do
 > >    something different*? Who dislikes /opt/BLAHblah/*?
 >
 > This seems to be the issue that NetBSD always stumbles on.
 > I happily use FreeBSD's system which populates /usr/local. Beyond
 > that I don't care. Let's do a monkey-see-monkey-do on this one.

I'm not running multi-platform with NFS mounted packages, but if I
were, I'd like to see something along the line of

/usr/local/arch/{bin,lib,etc}

so that I could do symlinks or NFS mounts of /usr/local to the correct
architecture.  My guess is that the FreeBSD folks don't care since
they're mostly all people running FreeBSD only, but I'd like to think
that Linux and NetBSD folk would want to take it into consideration
since they're both potentially supporting multiple platforms.