Subject: Problems with time(1)
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG, current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mika Nystroem <mika@cs.caltech.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 03/20/1997 12:02:01
Hi everyone,
  I just noticed something weird on my NetBSD PCs---time(1) doesn't work
right.  I was using the Cornell tcsh time to measure the cpu time spent
by some long-running combinatorial search programs, and it seems that
the time measured stops increasing after about an hour of use---possibly
a counter overflow because sometimes I see 1000 seconds charged, sometimes
500, for a program that has obviously run for ten hours or more.  It's
just a bit tedious to debug!  I'm not really "-current"---running 1.1B,
mostly, so perhaps the bug has been fixed, and perhaps it's not
i386-specific, either.  It *does* show up with both tcsh time and
/usr/bin/time (they read almost exactly the same numbers, both wildly
off the mark) (and curiously, OSF/1 / Digital UNIX V4.0 has a problem
with the %cpu computation, but that's another story).

  Does anyone have an idea what's going on here?  Is it a kernel thing
that's been fixed in 1.2, or (if noone has heard of it) should I
investigate further?

   Mika Nystrom <mika@cs.caltech.edu>
   Asynchronous Systems Architecture Project
   Department of Computer Science
   California Institute of Technology

P.S.  I unsubscribed both current-users and port-i386 due to the volume of
mail (to which I am now adding!), so please Cc: me personally on any