Subject: Re: DEC uses NetBSD
To: der Mouse <mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@cs.cmu.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 03/20/1997 13:21:03
> > I for one would be quite willing to support and buy binary packages
> > (provided they were, in fact, professional quality).
>
> Thinking back over the binary packages I've seen (yes, I have worked
> with them - at work) and the source packages I've seen, and I compare
> the high end of the quality spectrum for the binary packages with the
> low end of the quality spectrum for the source packages...I'll take the
> source package.
>
> I compare the money...and I'll take the source package.
>
> I compare the support...and I'll take the source package.
>
> Every time.

So, can you point me to a source package (that I can reasonably
compile) for a WYSIWYG UNIX/X word processor, which has the ability to
write Word-format files?  (I could very well believe that people are
working on one, e.g. the hungry.com folks, but I'm not aware of an
"compile and go" solution for my (actually, my SO's 8-) needs which
exists now, or ever has.)

How about similar things for PowerPoint-esque apps, excel, etc.

I've used {La,}TeX, xfig, idraw, etc., to make slides, and i'll take
PowerPoint, or better yet, Frame (both of which I've also used) over
them any day.  I've also used oleo, but it's out of date, and lacks
much functionality.

I don't know where to _get_ applications like these in source-only
distributions.  Indeed, I don't even know where to get most of them
for UNIX.  I (or others who depend on me for "computing support") need
them.  "How can I?"  If you can point me to them, then I'd at least be
more inclined to avoid third-party binary packages for that type of
software...

cgd