Subject: Re: DEC uses NetBSD
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
From: Rob Deker <deker@digex.net>
List: current-users
Date: 03/20/1997 12:23:22
On Thu, 20 Mar 1997, Curt Sampson wrote:

> That's true. However, if we offer `jumbo packages' of popular
> programs, as I suggested, I don't want to have to go through the
> entire package before I untar it, just to make sure that none of
> the dozens of files it drops in /usr/local/whatever are going to
> stomp on programmes I've customised. If I do find a copy of ssh in
> the package, chance are it's not configured like mine, and I'd have
> to move my /usr/local/*/ssh* stuff all out of the way before I
> installed it, and then move my /usr/local/*/ssh* stuff back. That's
> a lot more work than just deleting /usr/contrib/*/ssh* after I've
> unpacked the jumbo package.

a second thought on this. We could simply add a check for existance of an
install target before actually installing it and ask....

Interactivity is not alwaya a bad thing.

rob

"Off the keyboard, through the CPU, | deker@digex.net
out the transceiver, down the rj45  | Systems Engineer
line, across the router, through    |
the Hub, out the gateway.           |
        Nothing but net."           |