Subject: Re: DEC uses NetBSD
To: der Mouse <mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@cs.cmu.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 03/20/1997 11:56:49
> True.  However, not all users are created equal, and I am not at all
> sure I think we want the point-and-drool crowd.  (By no means do I mean
> to imply by this that I think everyone who wants precompiled binaries
> belongs to said crowd - only that the current state of affairs is at
> least somewhat effective at keeping out such people.)

At the very least, the "point-and-drool" crowd has money.  Money ->
donations -> more resources for development.

Why should somebody _have_ to be a systems hacker, or to even be
"systems clueful" to run NetBSD?  Quite frankly, in my opinion that's
a stupid attitude.

> I also fear that this will lead to binary-only packages, which is one
> thing I do _not_ want.

Oh, god forbid binary packages.  Why, if we had those, they might
actually include a set of real applications!  Horror of horrors, then
those point-and-drool people could get ... REAL WORK done on NetBSD!
We can't allow that!

*chuckle*

I for one would be quite willing to support and buy binary packages
(provided they were, in fact, professional quality).

chris