Subject: Re: DEC uses NetBSD
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <dolecek@ics.muni.cz>
List: current-users
Date: 03/20/1997 14:33:04
> On Thu, 20 Mar 1997, Kevin P. Neal wrote:
>
> > Hasn't this been discussed before?
> >
> > I think the issues were:
> > 1) Precompiled ports will be *huge* due to the number of NetBSD platforms, so
> >    builds will probably have to be done on the user's machine.

Hmm, seems true for me.

> > 2) Nobody could agree on where "stuff" should get installed. Do binaries
> >    go in /usr/local/bin or /usr/local/PKGNAME/bin, with a link in
> > /usr/local/bin? What about the oddball case where somebody wants to do
> >    something different*? Who dislikes /opt/BLAHblah/*?

I'm pretty satisfied w/ /usr/local. It's a "standard" and most
packages take it as default already. On my local system i'm
using local just for few programs and most packages are in
/packages/{run|share|share_rw}/PACKAGE/, but there have to be some
"standard" place and /usr/local is one of the best candidates.

> > 3) Many packages have lots of configuration options. How do you select which
> >    options should be used? Ease of changing these options? Is a GUI/CUI
> >    needed for this?

That's not so big problem ... I think there are few packages, where
you specify wanted features in compile time.  And there
should be package maintainer, who should decide what should
be "standard". And if you wouldn't like it - you may compile yours
binary every time ;-)

> > 4) Satisfying all of these issues becomes a pain in the arse for the person
> >    who creates the package -> fewer packages are created.

I think, there are lotsa programs, where you want just to use them
(ssh*, lotsa X things, some libs) and don't care about
one special feature set or not set. If ya care, compile it yourself ;-)
And other thing - I don't have Motif and would like to have
somewhere place, where I should pick up binaries using Motif.

The idea is pretty good. Of course IMHO ;-)

--
Jaromir Dolecek             	ICS MU, Botanicka 68A, Brno, 60200, Czech Rep.
dolecek@ics.muni.cz			Tel.: +42-5-4151 2266