Subject: Re: DEC uses NetBSD
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: current-users
Date: 03/20/1997 07:31:58
>> I agree, but is this really what the NetBSD community needs?  [...]

> Simply put, we need users to survive.  One thing that attracts user
> membership is the existance of precompiled binaries.

True.  However, not all users are created equal, and I am not at all
sure I think we want the point-and-drool crowd.  (By no means do I mean
to imply by this that I think everyone who wants precompiled binaries
belongs to said crowd - only that the current state of affairs is at
least somewhat effective at keeping out such people.)

I also fear that this will lead to binary-only packages, which is one
thing I do _not_ want.

I also expect it to lead to package providers responding to bug reports
with "why aren't you using the prebuilt binaries?" - because I won't
be; they are invariably wrong for me one way or another, even if I were
willing to trust my system to binaries from an unverified source.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca