Subject: Re: DEC uses NetBSD
To: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
From: George Michaelson <ggm@connect.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 03/20/1997 15:56:05
I walked off NetBSD to FreeBSD 6 months ago in a fit of frustration. I've
remained subscribed to the lists, and waited for indications the project
is reaching the kind of maturity where a non-involved party like myself
can make a rational decision which *BSD to sit on, based on the mix of
consumer h/w in hand and functionality of the total system, under the normal
"get a life" time constraints.

I believe that getting some people in NetBSDland into packaging what is
undoubtedly a very fine project into consumable forms is a

	very good thing (tm)

and if you look at the synergies (gak I hate that word) between walnut creek
and FreeBSD, its plain that binary builds and a sensible ports collection
which

	just works (tm)

are going to be critical.

If somebody is prepared to find a meeting ground between the *BSD camps to
make ports a bit more "open" in that sense, and then package them up I'll
buy. I'll even subscribe to the CD  on a recurring basis.

You should know that FreeBSD has already reached the stage of having to
drop some stuff like CVS from the regular pressing to ensure ports can fit
because its got so big. They are discussing a SNAP or Developers kit to
exclude ports and retain CVS right now.

So it seems to me a *BSD-neutral ports CD is a natural fit right now.

go for it!

	cheers
		-George

(ps what bit me was the atapi-CD issue. If Manuel Boyer (sp?) work had been
 better integrated, I'd still be running the damn code :-)
--
George Michaelson         |  connect.com.au pty/ltd
Email: ggm@connect.com.au |  c/o AAPT,