Subject: Re: DEC uses NetBSD
To: None <scotte@warped.com>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: current-users
Date: 03/20/1997 00:17:05
>> I have a place where things like that can live, but it should maybe be on
>> ftp.netbsd.org as well. Before we go throwing ported software all over the
>> place though I think that it would behoove us to come up with some form of
>> organization for it.
>
>I agree, but is this really what the NetBSD community needs?  Most things
>build for NetBSD right out of the box (which is good, and stems from people
>feeding any diffs back to the author of the program).

I have to echo Chris's sentiments; we definately need this.

Simply put, we need users to survive.  One thing that attracts user membership
is the existance of precompiled binaries.  It's a big pain in the ass to
compile stuff for your system, and I'm speaking from the point of a former
system administrator who used to do that all the time, AND from the point of
a programmer who occasionally installs stuff into our depot tree at work.

At worst, it can't do any harm; at best, it can only help us.

--Ken