Subject: Re: DEC uses NetBSD
To: Rob Deker <deker@digex.net>
From: John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 03/20/1997 12:40:50
Rob Deker wrote:
> I have a place where things like that can live, but it should maybe be on
> ftp.netbsd.org as well. Before we go throwing ported software all over the
> place though I think that it would behoove us to come up with some form of
> organization for it.

I think it would be better kept _off_ ftp.netbsd.org so that it can
be maintained by the *BSD user community instead of NetBSD developers.

If it can be made to work like FreeBSD's system and if they are prepared
to accept patches that allow different architectures, then the place
where the ported software should go is ftp.freebsd.org -- NetBSD mirrors
can pick it up from there.

> I've looked a little bit at the FreeBSD ports methedology, and I think it's
> pretty nifty. It does make it a bit of a pain to just "go get the source"
> (ie. I wanted somethign from the FreeBSD ports collection because they
> had it. I wanted to compile it under SunOS though and finding the source
> for it was a bit wierd.) Let's see if we can sketch something out on
> how to organize it and I can put it up on our ftp server here (ftp.digex.net)
> once we figure it out. I should also have a LOT more disk space on that
> machine to play with soon.....

Try looking at how OpenBSD did it.

For the system to work, it must coexist with the existing FreeBSD
patches and allow for more than one flavo[u]r of *BSD, each with
multiple architectures.

Just my 0.02. 8-)

> rob

Regards,

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@netbsd.org
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, 119 Cecil Street, South Melbourne Vic 3205, Australia