Subject: Re: DEC uses NetBSD
To: Tim Rightnour <TIM_R@cii.ciinet.com>
From: Rob Deker <deker@digex.net>
List: current-users
Date: 03/19/1997 19:09:13
On Wed, 19 Mar 1997, Tim Rightnour wrote:

> I'm currently working on recompiling my hundreds of apps ive had
> sitting around in bin form since 0.8, and im keeping diffs of all my
> work. (and a log of all the out of the box stuff)  If someone gives
> me somewhere to put these, Ill put em there..

I have a place where things like that can live, but it should maybe be on
ftp.netbsd.org as well. Before we go throwing ported software all over the
place though I think that it would behoove us to come up with some form of
organization for it.

I've looked a little bit at the FreeBSD ports methedology, and I think it's
pretty nifty. It does make it a bit of a pain to just "go get the source"
(ie. I wanted somethign from the FreeBSD ports collection because they
had it. I wanted to compile it under SunOS though and finding the source
for it was a bit wierd.) Let's see if we can sketch something out on
how to organize it and I can put it up on our ftp server here (ftp.digex.net)
once we figure it out. I should also have a LOT more disk space on that
machine to play with soon.....

rob

"Off the keyboard, through the CPU, | deker@digex.net
out the transceiver, down the rj45  | Systems Engineer
line, across the router, through    |
the Hub, out the gateway.           |
        Nothing but net."           |