Subject: Re: can't login via net (sometimes)
To: Matthias Drochner <drochner@zelux6.zel.kfa-juelich.de>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/19/1997 15:50:47

> I built a snapshot just before the ARP changes came in
> (97/03/14), on a i386.
> When I try to login into one of the inetd-provided services
> (I tried telnet, rsh, ftp), the connection is established, but
> the NetBSD box will not send any data (verified this with
> "tcpdump").

I've seen something almost exactly like this.  Do you have DNS
enabled?  Remove /etc/resolv.conf if you have it, and try the
same scenario again.

> When I look at the machine while the connection blocks,
> the corresponding daemon is not running, and inetd is
> sleeping at "select".
> I can reproduce this many times, until I cause some more
> activity (compile something) on the NetBSD machine.
> After that, this problem disappears.
> The machine in question is running diskless.

My brother's PC was doing this, completely "dead" to the network,
though both interfaces (ep0, ed0) were up, and 'netstat -in' showed
Ipkts/Opkts.  His DNS server was hosed at the time, and removing
/etc/resolv.conf "fixed" the problem.  In his case though, pings
failed, so "activity" didn't fix it.

> Is this a known problem?
> (A kernel from 97/02/06 runs fine.)
>
> Matthias Drochner

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | This space left blank
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | inadvertently.