Subject: Re: /bin/sync hangs n thrd_s on -current pmax kernels as of March 14?
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@pgoyette.bdt.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/17/1997 04:46:52
I had this happen to me on the mac68k port for a couple weeks, on a
kernel built from March 3 sources.  I rebuilt yesterday (March 16) and
the problem has disappeared.

There were several recent (last few weeks) changes to the vm system, and I
_think_ that's where the problem came from.

On Mon, 17 Mar 1997, Jonathan Stone wrote:

> Kernels I built for a NetBSD/pmax snapshot seem to repeatably hang
> processes when I type "sync".  This causes shutdown and reboot to
> fail.  reboot -n, however, works.  This happened for kernels built
> from march 14/15 source.  It didn't happen for kernels built on march
> 5 from March 4 sup source.
>
> I only have FFS and NFS filesystems mounted.  ps shows that update
> and any sync processes are waiting on "thrd_s" (thread_sleep?)
>
> Has anyone seen anything similar on this or any other platform?  I
> haven't touched any of the pmax kernel in some time. I've also
> upgraded the version of GNU ld I'm using, but pmax kernels are still
> linked with a binutils-2.6 kernel, so I don't see anything
> port-specific thats' changed.  I tend to blame some of the recent VM
> changes, but it's just a guess.
>
> thanks
> --Jonathan
>
> (ps: can we either limit waitchannel names to something that fit in
> ps's "WCHAN" column, or fix ps -awwl to print the entire waitchannel
> name?)

| Paul Goyette       | PGP Public Key fingerprint:  | E-mail addresses:      |
| Network Consultant |     0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@pgoyette.bdt.com |
| and kernel hacker  |     E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul_goyette@ins.com  |