Subject: Re: tcp-wrappers, tcpd, and NetBSD
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@quick.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 03/17/1997 09:48:23
der Mouse writes:
>That's fine if you care more about making a religious point than you do
>about keeping your system secure.  The security benefits accruing to a
>site running a (real) pidentd are very real, if you either (a) have any

Pardon my ignorance, but what is pidentd?

>As for the remark that NetBSD's sendmail should come with use of ident
>disabled, I strongly disagree.  If you're attacked from my site, for

Given that the answer given to an ident request _cannot_ be trusted -
as several folk have demonstrated, what it the point?  Its just
another avenue for being attacked.

--sjg

--
Simon J. Gerraty        <sjg@quick.com.au>

#include <disclaimer>   /* imagine something _very_ witty here */