Subject: Re: tcp-wrappers, tcpd, and NetBSD
To: John F. Woods <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>
From: Peter Svensson <petersv@df.lth.se>
List: current-users
Date: 03/16/1997 17:28:59
On Sun, 16 Mar 1997, John F. Woods wrote:

> Claiming that identd has nonzero positive value is just as silly as claiming
> that if you close your eyes when typing your password, no one can guess it.
> It's just as dangerous to publically defend it, too, since the more people
> who believe either of these, the wider the established hole for people who
> know better.

On numerous occasions we have had attempts to break into our systems
originating from multi-user timesharing hosts running identd. In most of
the cases the perpetrator was caught and reprimanded. As we ourself have
1000+ users we sometimes have a bad egg, if the victim has logged our
identd information we can kill the correct account.

Peter