Subject: Re: getpwent(3) funcs return static structure
To: None <woods@web.net>
From: Andrew Wheadon <andrew@wipux2.wifo.uni-mannheim.de>
List: current-users
Date: 03/16/1997 15:32:30
> [ On Fri, March 7, 1997 at 06:51:51 (+0200), Jukka Marin wrote: ]
> > Subject: Re: getpwent(3) funcs return static structure
> > It would be nice to be able to have multiple superuser accounts without
> > the system getting confused.
I agree.

> Multiple accounts with uid==0 in the password file are a bad idea, from
> a security perspective.  They increase the risk of a successful root
> attack quite a bit (by an order of N^2 possibly?).

There are other uses of multiple accounts uid=0 other than having
different passwords. We have different shells, environments and
home-directories for example. It doesn't have to be the need for
different passwords, they might even be the same.

Cheerio

--
The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity. (Mark Twain)
current	release=doc host=netbsd.wifo.uni-mannheim.de \ "NetBSD-current mirror"