Subject: loading lkm's
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Iain Hibbert <plunky@skate.demon.co.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 03/14/1997 22:36:42
Hi, I'm just starting to write a device driver and am trying to hack out a
framework for it as an lkm so I can play without recompiling my kernel all
the time.  I'm just about there I think but am having trouble with modload..
I get this error trying to load any of the modules in src/sys/lkm/

[eg in src/sys/lkm/vfs/miscfs/kernfs]

skate# make load
/sbin/modload -o kernfs -ekernfs_lkmentry kernfs.o
modload: can't reserve memory: Operation not permitted
*** Error code 9

Stop.

I've loaded modules in the past I'm sure, but not with these binaries - my
source is current as of early this week, and I made a kernel and did a make
build then too.. I can't figure out why its giving me this error so I'm
retiring for the night with a good book, heh, but in the meantime I thought
I'd ask if anybody else knows, or experiences it too?

iain