Subject: Re: Statically linked progs.
To: Benoit MARTEL <magus@cs.mcgill.ca>
From: Andrew Wheadon <andrew@wipux2.wifo.uni-mannheim.de>
List: current-users
Date: 03/12/1997 12:51:30
> Now, my problem is with statically linked progs.
> If I try to build everything before installing more stuff, I get errors
> when progs try to link with my libraries because they are the old ones (I
> get undefined symbols.  If I update my libraries and try to go back and
> compile the rest, my system is almost unusable because my binaries are
> the old ones and get undefined symbols from the new libraries (even login
> doesn't work).
You have 2 options
a)	mkdir /usr/destdir;export DESTDIR=/usr/destdir;cd /usr/src/etc
	make distrib-dirs; cd /usr/src; make build
b)	you could "export NOPIC=nowayman" to just install the .a
	files from /usr/src/lib. Then you could "export LDSTATIC=-static"
	to make 'static' files of everything.

Before you do either you should make a new kernel which works with
your old stuff. COMPAT_12 etc by starting from 'GENERIC' and editing
to suite.

Cheerio

--
The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity. (Mark Twain)
current	release=doc host=netbsd.wifo.uni-mannheim.de \ "NetBSD-current mirror"