Subject: Re: Getting current...
To: None <magus@cs.mcgill.ca>
From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/11/1997 11:14:07
>Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 21:47:48 -0500 (EST)
>From: Benoit MARTEL <magus@cs.mcgill.ca>

>1) cd /usr/src/usr.bin/make; make && make install

Depending on how old your system is, you may need to use Makefile.boot.

1.5) cd /usr/src/share/mk; make install

>2) cd /usr/src/usr.bin/config; make && make install

2.5) You may need to rebuild parts of the toolchain here; for
instance, you may need to rebuild gas so that it will support new
instructions used by your port's locore.s (remember 'cpuid',
anyone?).  You may also want to rebuild gcc to keep compiler bugs
from hosing your kernel build.

>3) configure and compile a new kernel

Use your port's GENERIC config file as a model for a new kernel
config, instead of using any older configs you may have.  That way you
won't get hosed by leaving out important things like EXEC_AOUT and
EXEC_SCRIPT.

>4) boot with the new kernel

Obviously, you may need to repeat these steps if your first kernel
doesn't work. :-)  Be sure to keep a copy of your old kernel around
until you build a working -current kernel.

>5) cd /usr/src; make build
>
>I'm pretty sure this should work (looking at my newly acquired
>/usr/src/Makefile). Is it really the right way? Am I missing something
>again? I like this trial and error but it's taking several hours every
>time I try to compile something large so hopefully, this should make it
>into the FAQ. Section 3.2.13 asks the question but there is no answer.

This procedure should definitely go into the FAQ (HI DAVE!).
--
Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>     <URL:http://www.shore.net/~mikel>