Subject: Re: (off-topic) How to hinder mail-ads ?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <is@Beverly.Rhein.DE>
List: current-users
Date: 03/07/1997 10:10:10
David Maxwell (david@fundy.ca) wrote:
: Ted Lemon wrote:
: >
: > Take a look at http://www.vix.com/spam.  I have actually hacked a list
: > of sites which send me more spam than useful information, and I refuse
: > email from those sites, but this doesn't eliminate spam - it just gets
: > rid of the easy stuff.  If they forge their headers, sendmail believes
: > them.
:
: There are options under NetBSD-current:
:
: 1.	Use ipfilter to block connections to port 25 from bad hosts.
:
: 2.	Install Smail, which can refuse requests from a list of sites,
: and which is easy to maintain - sendmail without the security holes.
:
: While you're at it, you might want to prevent becoming a relay for a
: spammer too...
:
: :For a while now we've been running 3.2 with Greg's patches that allow
: :the blocking of pass-thru email (mail that's neither from nor to local
: :addresses).  It's amazing just how much email of this type was being
: :passed through our server.  At least one well-known spam site was
: :using us as a relay, and this stopped that dead in its tracks.

Smail being easy to configure? Hahaha. I thought that, too, and was the
main Smail guru of rhein.de (and the only one who insisted it can be
done with smail, --- we have couple of servers were dialup-ip and
dialup-uucp and uucp-over-ip sites dial in...)

Then, one day, I tries sendmail 8.6.something at work, went home, and
junked smail.

Well, thats my experience... I'll probably never again touch smail. Your
mileage may vary.

Regards,
	Ignatios