Subject: 1.2C (Feb22+vm fixes) panics.
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@quick.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 03/06/1997 09:56:57
I'm running the Feb22 tar files, plus the vm_ fixes, and the recent sh
fixes.

In general the system has been very good, but a couple of panics in a
week is not.

Mar  6 05:07:53 zen savecore: reboot after panic: vm_object_paging_begin
Mar  6 05:07:54 zen savecore: writing core to /var/crash/netbsd.7.core
Mar  6 05:08:07 zen savecore: writing kernel to /var/crash/netbsd.7

the machine was sitting ddb this morning, but I let it dump and save
the core.  But I'm not sure I can get much from it.

There is no crash(8) page despite what man -k says, so I guessed:

gdb -k /var/crash/netbsd.7 /var/crash/netbsd.7.core
(no debugging symbols found)...
panic: vm_object_paging_begin
#0  0x300000 in ?? ()
(kgdb) bt
#0  0x300000 in ?? ()
(kgdb)
Not very useful.

BTW, netbsd.6.core is "panic: update: rofs mod" which resulted from
booting my kernel which says root on sd0a etc, from wd0a in single
user. All looked ok, but when I said "reboot" it panic'd

Should I expect to be able to boot my sd0 kernel from wd0 or would it
panic if I booted single user from sd0 too and just said reboot?
(I have another machine I can try that on).

--sjg