Subject: Re: ppp connection strangeness...
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <is@Beverly.Rhein.DE>
List: current-users
Date: 03/05/1997 10:08:19
Peter Seebach (seebs@solon.com) wrote:
: 2.  If I'm doing a fairly large download to either a mac or a windoze PC,
: which is connected to the 3/60 over ethernet, the network feed (which I'm
: watching as modem LED's) will abruptly stop transferring data, and hang for
: several minutes.  However, if I hit return in an rlogin to a machine on the
: other end of the link, everything recovers for a while, running anywhere from
: three seconds to a minute, and then hangs again.
:
: The PPP link is over a 28.8 modem which claims to have some compression.  I
: don't recall seeing this when I was using my Amiga as a network feed.
:
: Any suggestions?  Is this a sun thing, or a PPP thing, or a couple-months-old
: -current thing?

This is a broken-handshake-at-some-point thing. PPP gets a broken
VJ-compressed packet, and drops all input until it gets one with an
explicit connection index.

You can fight this a bit by switching of connection index compression;
it will still wait for an explicit packet per tcp connection then (-vjccomp)

The real thing is to fix your handshaking. Either your modem can't tell
your machine to please wait a moment... or the other way round.

Be sure to have told the modem to do rtscts handshaking at all, and that
all wires are ok. And check for the same things at the other side of the line.

I once had this problem... the damned modem had chosen to forget its &K3
setting (which I never suspected, because thats the first thing I set on
newly purchased modems and never switch off again), and when I retried
to write it to the saved configuration, it would magically disappear. I
finally added it to the dial string.

Regards,
	Ignatios Souvatzis