Subject: install/chflags problem over NFS
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Brian C. Grayson <bgrayson@ece.utexas.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 03/04/1997 13:19:21
  On our setup, we have 5 -i386 Pentiums, and we mount /usr/share
via NFS.  Some time within the past two weeks, I think, install
over NFS (from an NFS client) broke, because NFS doesn't
support the chflags() operation.  In the source code in
/usr/src/usr.bin/xinstall/xinstall.c, around line 280, there is
code that attempts to perform a fchflags(), whose sole purpose, I
believe, in standard use (when chflags() flags are not specified
on the command line) is to clear NO_DUMP flags.  When this
fails, install bails out with errx().

  Is this a bug in install (to die with a failed chflags)?  I
thought there were enough file systems that don't support
chflags that a warning, rather than an error, would be more
appropriate (IMHO, of course!).

  Is our setup confused, or is this just not a major annoyance to
anyone else?  :)

  As a temporary hack, I changed the errx to a warnx,
re-installed install, and am now doing another make install.

  Thanks in advance for further help/comments!  If this is
PR-able, I can write one up later tonight.

  Brian
--
Brian Grayson (bgrayson@ece.utexas.edu)
Graduate Student, Electrical and Computer Engineering