Subject: Re: (off-topic) How to hinder mail-ads ?
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@hoffman.vix.com>
From: David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 03/04/1997 09:31:27
Ted Lemon wrote:

> Take a look at http://www.vix.com/spam.  I have actually hacked a list
> of sites which send me more spam than useful information, and I refuse
> email from those sites, but this doesn't eliminate spam - it just gets
> rid of the easy stuff.  If they forge their headers, sendmail believes
> them.

There are options under NetBSD-current:

1.	Use ipfilter to block connections to port 25 from bad hosts.

2.	Install Smail, which can refuse requests from a list of sites,
and which is easy to maintain - sendmail without the security holes.

While you're at it, you might want to prevent becoming a relay for a
spammer too...