Subject: ram disk swap?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ian Dall <Ian.Dall@dsto.defence.gov.au>
List: current-users
Date: 02/27/1997 14:18:02
I want to set up a Sun 3/50 with an Xkernel like configuration, except
using Netbsd as the kernel. I guess since setroot has become generic
this is a current-users question rather than a port-sun3 question.

I don't really want any swap (it will only run and X server and should
never need to swap). Also, I want the root partition to be minimal in size,
NFS mounted and read only. No swap at all would have been impossible
in earlier versions of BSD, but since we started uing the mach vm,
requiring a swap partition seems like a needless restriction.

The RAMDISK kernel configuration seems like a good starting point, but
I don't really want to put a root image in the boot file (how is that
done BTW?).  An NFS mounted root would be easier to maintain.

Ideally I want:

   root server:/export/sun3/Xkernel, swap none

If I can't have that, how about:

   root server:/export/sun3/Xkernel, swap md0a

and how should I tell config about it.

Currently, if I try and netboot my kernel, it loads netbsd OK and then
complains it can't get the root device from bootstrap, prompts me,
but doesn't accept anything I type.

Any tips appreciated.

Ian