Subject: Re: if_ep heads-up [Re: NFS root doesn't work with 3c590]
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
List: current-users
Date: 02/21/1997 08:43:09
Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>  wrote:
 > You can't *always* look at the card -- if it's in a remote router
 > in a wiring closet somewhere.

Can I be a weenie and suggest that if you don't know how a particular
machine is cabled up, and you're not near the machine, then you probably
shouldn't be running 'ifconfig'?

I'm sure someone will be able to come up with a situation where life
will cease to exist without the connector information in the dmesg
but I think in general, it's not that big a deal.. Although, I might
add that when I first wrote the ep driver, the probe/attach output
was really only two lines... At some point it turned into 3 lines of
about 40 characters each... Can I suggest that:

ep0 at isa0 port 0x300-0x30f irq 10: 3Com 3C509 Ethernet
ep0: 8KB byte-wide FIFO, 5:3 Rx:Tx split, aui/bnc
ep0: MAC address 00:60:8c:19:c5:6b

Would be just as readable if it was presented like:

ep0 at isa0 port 0x300-0x30f irq 10: 3Com 3C509 Ethernet
ep0: 8KB FIFO, Rx:5k Tx:3k, aui/bnc, Mac:00:60:8c:19:c5:6b

I mean, that's still <60 characters...