Subject: Re: if_ep heads-up [Re: NFS root doesn't work with 3c590]
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 02/20/1997 16:54:12
You can't *always* look at the card -- if it's in a remote router
in a wiring closet somewhere.

And at least for the 3c59x/3c90x, you can't easily tell which
interface is enabled if things don't work.  I think printing the
active interface at boot is useful, at least until ifmedia  support
is in -current.

Anyway, I think the argument about output-line count is subjective and
biased. Look how many lines of console output SCSI controllers like
the bha driver produce.  For some of us (e.g., those running diskless
:)) the network interface is at least as important.

Comments?