Subject: Re: Update your sys/vm! (Sigh, vnode_pager_sync debugged.)
To: Greg Oster <oster@cs.usask.ca>
From: Charles M. Hannum <mycroft@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 02/19/1997 09:54:02
Greg Oster <oster@cs.usask.ca> writes:

> This weekend whilst doing a "make build" and running a -current kernel
> generated from Feb. 15 tarballs I got the following errors:
>
>   Feb 15 19:14:58 rizzo /netbsd: vnode: table is full
>   Feb 15 19:14:59 rizzo syslogd: /var/run/utmp: Too many open files in system

This is most likely a symptom of the `losing memory' problem.  The
pages are still in core, and are associated with the object, but since
they're no longer on a paging queue, they're not eligible for being
garbage collected by the pageout daemon.  Thus the object may never
lose all its pages, and will stick around, keeping the vnode open.

I haven't checked, but it's also possible that the bug could have
caused memory corruption in some cases (e.g. if something later
treated the page as if it were on a queue, and tried to remove it
again).

Anyway, glad to hear that it works for you now!