Subject: NCR Driver Lossage in sys/dev/pci/ncr.c 1.55
To: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 02/14/1997 18:51:19
Perry, Dave,

This change from 1.54 to 1.55 broke something on my system. I've
got an NCR 53c810 attached to an HP Surestore, a Quantum Lightening,
and an IBM drive.  The HP's always given me problems until recently,
especially with tagged command queuing, but at least with 1.54
below it seemed to work fine. 1.55 breaks it real bad; the system
probes ok but when it tries to mount the root filesystem I get a
whole lot of `command aborted' with data of all zeros.

If you guys don't have any suggestions, I'm going to try to find this
the hard way, which means the following:

1. Plug in the new driver and try various options, such as failsafe, and
see if I can't get something to work.

2. Apply the changes between the two versions bit by bit, recompiling
and rebooting every time, to see what broke it.

Are there more updates in the pipeline?

If you want to put me on the list of people who should be testing
this driver before commits (I have an alpha I can test it on as
well, BTW), I'll make an extra effort to give you quick turnaround
on it.

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca	   Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.	   Through infinite myst, software reverberates

revision 1.55
date: 1997/01/10 05:57:10;  author: perry;  state: Exp;  lines: +240 -102
Commit latest fixes/upgrades to NCR SCSI driver. From FreeBSD via
Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>

Tested on alpha by cgd, tested on several i386 boxes. Certainly causes
no harm to the goddamned mess, but the NCR driver only works when you
perform voodoo rituals on it anyway.

This is what Dave said (in email) has been added to the driver:

  This seems to be the most significant change:
  General cleanup and new features for 53c875 based cards, especially the
  Tekram DC390W/U/F, whose config EEPROM can now be dumped, if the kernel
  is built with option NCR_TEKRAM_EEPROM.

  Other changes:

  - add brackets to expansion of OUTB/W/L macro arguments.
  - remove unused NCB structure element ns_async
  - support sync. SCSI offset of 16 (instead of only 8) on 825A and 875
  - correctly identify 53c810A and 53c825A chips
  - preserve SCSI BIOS settings of PCI performance options
  - remove (already disabled) support for NCR reset because of command timeout
  - reverse order of reading of SCSI and DMA specific interrupt cause registers
  - add definition of Tekram config EEPROM contents (not currently used)
revision 1.54
date: 1996/12/10 21:27:55;  author: thorpej;  state: Exp;  lines: +3 -2
Fill in sc_link.max_target