Subject: DHCP client, integration with ifconfig, etc.
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Rafal Boni <rkboni@concentric.net>
List: current-users
Date: 02/08/1997 03:58:46
Folks:

I know that -current now includes the ISC DHCP server as part of the base
sources, and I know that that comes with a "really lame dhcp client" (as
the source itself says..), but I'm wondering if anyone out there has done
any work on getting DHCP more integrated with ifconfig or the rest of the
BSD networking utils (don't know that else would need a whack, perhaps a
new daemon to re-send dhcp requests when the lease runs out?)... Or even
if anyone's got a duct-tape-and-spit solution to the problem.

I would like this to eventually hook up my NetBSD box to highway1 (when my
part of town gets it) and in the near term I'm also helping a friend of mine
who is going to be getting highway1 next week and has a spare NetBSD box he
would like to use for that purpose (for those wondering, highway1 is one of
the IP-over-CableTV things... You get a cable modem which attaches to your
machine via UTP... The right and proper way of getting an IP address in this
scheme is via DHCP).

If nobody's done any work on this, and somebody's got ideas, those are welcome
as well... If I don't find anything out there, I might have to go and see
what all would need to be done and see if I can whack at some of it...

Thanks,
--rafal

----
Rafal Boni                                                rkboni@concentric.net