Subject: Re: IP-masquerading for NetBSD?
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Peter Svensson <petersv@df.lth.se>
List: current-users
Date: 02/06/1997 17:56:35
On Thu, 6 Feb 1997, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> Paul Boven writes:
> > Is there any form of ip-masquerading available for NetBSD?
>
> I'm not surprised you haven't found any documentation on it since I
> (and others I've asked) have no clue what the you mean.

What he refers to is sometimes known as NAT - Network Address Translation.
Ip-masquerading is commonly used, partly due to this being the term Linux
uses for its implementation.

Basically, you have a host (or router or whatnot) take alla packets from a
host or network, change the source ip-number, ports etc. and pass them on
to someone else. Whith incoming packages the procedure is revered. Hence a
number of hosts can get by with only a single ip-address.

Peter